On August 3, 2012, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit issued a decision in the case Lens.com, Inc. v. 1-800 Contacts, Inc. In the case, the Federal Circuit upheld a decision of the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (“TTAB”) granting a motion for summary judgment and ordering the cancellation of Lens.com’s […]
Background A trademark can be many things — even sounds or smells. By definition, a trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, which identify and distinguishes the source of the goods or services of one party from those of others. It is obviously important to consider […]
The US Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”) has extended the deadline to file to have a trademark registration exhibited in the 2010 National Trademark Expo until August 16, 2010. The Expo will include themed displays, exhibitors’ booths, costumed characters and much more. Exhibit themes may include, but are not limited to, celebrity trademarks, trademarks identifying […]
Research in Motion Limited (“RIM”), well known owner of the BLACKBERRY mark, opposed the registration of the mark BLACK MAIL by the NBOR Corporation (“NBOR”). Research In Motion Limited v. NBOR Corporation, Opposition No. 91179284 to application Serial No. 77090059 filed on January 24, 2007. Applicant filed the mark BLACK MAIL for: “computer software for […]
- Apple Files Patent Application for Sapphire Front/Back Displays July 11, 2014
- US Supreme Court Again Limits Business Method Patents After Bilski June 23, 2014
- US Supreme Court Attempts to Clarify Definiteness Requirement June 11, 2014
- Innovation Expo 2013 to be Held in Alexandria Virginia June 20-22, 2013 – Applicants Welcome January 18, 2013
- Federal Circuit Vacates Preliminary Injunction Again in Shionogi v. Lupin August 14, 2012
- US Patent and Trademark Office Publishes Rule Changes for the Citation of Prior Art and Written Statements Provision of the America Invents Act August 10, 2012
RECEIVE CURRENT IP UPDATES
I have been working with Jim Pravel and his law firm for over ten years and I have to say that he is a phenomenal patent and trademark attorney. I feel very confident working with him and he always provides clear information and advice. It is a pleasure to do business with him and I highly recommend him for all of your intellectual property matters.
Abaco Propiedad Industrial, S.L.