On August 3, 2012, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit issued a decision in the case Lens.com, Inc. v. 1-800 Contacts, Inc. In the case, the Federal Circuit upheld a decision of the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (“TTAB”) granting a motion for summary judgment and ordering the cancellation of Lens.com’s […]
On July 9, 2012, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board’s (“TTAB”) refusal of Midwestern Pet Foods’ (“Midwestern”) application for the mark WAGGIN’ STRIPS due to a likelihood of confusion with another mark, BEGGIN’ STRIPS, owned by Societe des Produits Nestle (“Nestle”). Midwestern filed an intent-to-use […]
Crackberry Trademark Registrations Refused by Trademark Trial and Appeal Board – Parody not a Defense
In a precedential opinion, on February 27, 2012 the US Trademark Trial and Appeal Board sustained four oppositions filed by Research in Motion (RIM) against Defining Presence Marketing Group, Inc. (DPMG). Link to Case here. DPMG had filed four trademark applications, each for the mark CRACKBERRY. Three of the CRACKBERRY applications were filed in […]
Research in Motion Limited (“RIM”), well known owner of the BLACKBERRY mark, opposed the registration of the mark BLACK MAIL by the NBOR Corporation (“NBOR”). Research In Motion Limited v. NBOR Corporation, Opposition No. 91179284 to application Serial No. 77090059 filed on January 24, 2007. Applicant filed the mark BLACK MAIL for: “computer software for […]
- AIPLA files Amicus Brief in Nautilus v. Biosig Instruments re: Definiteness March 5, 2014
- Apple’s New Touch MacBook Patent February 21, 2014
- Federal Circuit Clarifies Standard for Defendants Seeking Award of Attorney’s Fees January 29, 2014
- US Patent and Trademark Office Requests Comments on Request for Continued Examination Practice December 20, 2012
- Federal Circuit Upholds Cancellation from Interference Provoked Two Years After Publication July 27, 2012
- An Algorithm for Every Function July 25, 2012
RECEIVE CURRENT IP UPDATES
I have been working with Jim Pravel and his law firm for over ten years and I have to say that he is a phenomenal patent and trademark attorney. I feel very confident working with him and he always provides clear information and advice. It is a pleasure to do business with him and I highly recommend him for all of your intellectual property matters.
Abaco Propiedad Industrial, S.L.