In April 2012, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit decided the keyword advertising case Rosetta Stone Ltd. v. Google Inc. 676 F.3d. 144 (4th Cir., April 9, 2012). The plaintiff-appellant, Rosetta Stone, appealed from a judgment of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. In its opinion, the Fourth […]
On August 3, 2012, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit issued a decision in the case Lens.com, Inc. v. 1-800 Contacts, Inc. In the case, the Federal Circuit upheld a decision of the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (“TTAB”) granting a motion for summary judgment and ordering the cancellation of Lens.com’s […]
On July 9, 2012, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board’s (“TTAB”) refusal of Midwestern Pet Foods’ (“Midwestern”) application for the mark WAGGIN’ STRIPS due to a likelihood of confusion with another mark, BEGGIN’ STRIPS, owned by Societe des Produits Nestle (“Nestle”). Midwestern filed an […]
Background A trademark can be many things — even sounds or smells. By definition, a trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, which identify and distinguishes the source of the goods or services of one party from those of others. It is obviously important to consider […]
On May 14, 2012, JibJab Media Inc. filed suit in federal court in California against White Castle for “Trademark infringement and unfair competition. . . .” (See USPTO JibJab Trademark Record here). JibJab Media Inc. is the company that runs the very popular media website that is, perhaps, best known for its political parody videos […]
- US Patent and Trademark Office Launches Online Toolkit for Trademarks October 2, 2014
- ALS Association withdraws US Trademark Applications to Register “Ice Bucket Challenge” September 8, 2014
- First Inventor to File – 2014 USPTO Roadshow September 5, 2014
- US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Publishes Final Rules on First to File System February 13, 2013
- Federal Circuit Upholds TTAB’s Finding of Abandonment of Lens.com’s LENS Mark August 21, 2012
- Texas Regional Independent Inventors Conference-Austin, TX Sept. 14-15 August 16, 2012
RECEIVE CURRENT IP UPDATES
I have been working with Jim Pravel and his law firm for over ten years and I have to say that he is a phenomenal patent and trademark attorney. I feel very confident working with him and he always provides clear information and advice. It is a pleasure to do business with him and I highly recommend him for all of your intellectual property matters.
Abaco Propiedad Industrial, S.L.