The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (CAFC) has agreed to address the issue of patent eligibility for computer-implemented inventions by a full court. On October 9, 2012, the Federal Circuit issued an order which granted the Petition by CLS Bank, vacated its previous split-panel decision in CLS Bank International v. Alice Corporation and agreed […]
In the last post, we discussed the possible impacts of the modification of the one year grace period, under 35 U.S.C. §102(b), under the new America Invents Act (AIA). One potential issue is whether a public use or sale by the inventor less than one year before the filing of the application will fall under the […]
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”) has amended the rules governing practice before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences (Board or BPAI) in ex parte patent appeals. The rules apply to patent applications in which an appeal is filed by the applicant because the applicant does not agree with the patent examiner’s […]
On September 16, 2011, President Barack Obama signed into law the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act (AIA), which will foster innovation and spur job creation in the United States. This Act sets into motion the most comprehensive overhaul to our nation’s patent system since 1836. Patent attorneys, agents and the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) […]
The Senate yesterday passed the America Invents Act (S. 23) by a vote of 87-3.Although some provisions were dropped, the Senate bill retained the following key elements: Third party submissions of prior art for pending applications; USPTO fee setting authority; Supplemental examination authority; Repeal of the residency requirement for Federal Circuit judges; Micro entity status […]
- AIPLA files Amicus Brief in Nautilus v. Biosig Instruments re: Definiteness March 5, 2014
- Apple’s New Touch MacBook Patent February 21, 2014
- Federal Circuit Clarifies Standard for Defendants Seeking Award of Attorney’s Fees January 29, 2014
- US Patent and Trademark Office Requests Comments on Request for Continued Examination Practice December 20, 2012
- Federal Circuit Upholds Cancellation from Interference Provoked Two Years After Publication July 27, 2012
- An Algorithm for Every Function July 25, 2012
RECEIVE CURRENT IP UPDATES
"Jim is a fine lawyer very knowledgeable about the US Patent and Trademark Office and performing services of searching and evaluation of patents for infringement and validity."
Less Hewitt, Esq.