On December 26, 2013, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit decided Kilopass Technology, Inc. v. Sidense Corporation, (Case No. 2013-1193). In this case, the defendant-appellant, Sidense Corporation (Sidense), had appealed from the district court’s denial of its motion for attorney’s fees under 35 U.S.C. § 285. In its opinion, written by Judge O’Malley, […]
U.S Supreme Court Will Review Standard for Induced Infringement of a Claimed Method When Infringement is Split Among Multiple Parties
On January 10, 2014, the U.S. Supreme Court granted certiorari in Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc. The petitioner in the case, Limelight Networks (Limelight), appealed from the en banc opinion of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Akamai Technologies, Inc. v. Limelight Networks, Inc. and McKesson Technologies, Inc. v. […]
On February 13, 2013, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit issued its opinion in Function Media, L.L.C v. Google Inc., __ F.3d __ (Fed. Cir. 2013). In the decision, written by Judge Reyna, the Federal Circuit affirmed the district court’s invalidation of one of the plaintiff’s patents as indefinite. The court found that […]
Google recently wrote a letter on June 8 to the owner of the website Youtube-MP3.org, stating that it must stop its activities within seven days of Google’s letter. Youtube-MP3.org is a site devoted to converting Youtube videos to audio MP3s, that is widely popular, accessed by 1.3 million people each day. Google and Youtube argue […]
The recent case of Inhale v. Starbuzz Tobacco, Inc. held that the shape of a water container to be used in a hookah device is not afforded protection under the Copyright Act. Inhale made a water container that had a specific design on it – a skull and crossbones, in 2008 and registered it with the […]
- Apple Files Patent Application for Sapphire Front/Back Displays July 11, 2014
- US Supreme Court Again Limits Business Method Patents After Bilski June 23, 2014
- US Supreme Court Attempts to Clarify Definiteness Requirement June 11, 2014
- Innovation Expo 2013 to be Held in Alexandria Virginia June 20-22, 2013 – Applicants Welcome January 18, 2013
- Federal Circuit Vacates Preliminary Injunction Again in Shionogi v. Lupin August 14, 2012
- US Patent and Trademark Office Publishes Rule Changes for the Citation of Prior Art and Written Statements Provision of the America Invents Act August 10, 2012
RECEIVE CURRENT IP UPDATES
"Jim is a fine lawyer very knowledgeable about the US Patent and Trademark Office and performing services of searching and evaluation of patents for infringement and validity."
Less Hewitt, Esq.