On August 3, 2012, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit issued a decision in the case Lens.com, Inc. v. 1-800 Contacts, Inc. In the case, the Federal Circuit upheld a decision of the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (“TTAB”) granting a motion for summary judgment and ordering the cancellation of Lens.com’s […]
About DanielDaniel Christoperson is a registered patent attorney with a technical education in computer engineering and experience in intellectual property law and civil litigation.
On July 2, 2012, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit issued a decision in the case Sciele Pharma Inc. et al. (now “Shionogi”) v. Lupin Ltd. et al. (“Lupin). In the decision, the Federal Circuit, for a second time, vacated a preliminary injunction issued by the District Court for the District […]
On July 9, 2012, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board’s (“TTAB”) refusal of Midwestern Pet Foods’ (“Midwestern”) application for the mark WAGGIN’ STRIPS due to a likelihood of confusion with another mark, BEGGIN’ STRIPS, owned by Societe des Produits Nestle (“Nestle”). Midwestern filed an […]
On July 11, 2012, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed a ruling by the USPTO Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences (“Board”) cancelling claim 1 of US Patent 7,434,426 (“Patent ‘426”), held by Robert Loughlin and John Loughlin (together, “Loughlin”), because the claim interfered with US Patent Application 11/671,404 (“Application ‘404”), […]
On April 9, 2012, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit upheld the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania’s decision to invalidate patent claims asserted by Noah Systems, Inc. (“Noah”) against Intuit, Inc. (“Intuit”), because the claims were indefinite. At the center of this case was U.S. Patent No. 5,875,435 […]
- Federal Circuit Limits Business Method Patentability in View of US Supreme Court Alice Decision February 18, 2015
- US Patent and Trademark Office Reduces Trademark Application Filing Fees February 6, 2015
- IBM Obtains the most patents in 2014 January 14, 2015
- Federal Circuit Reaffirms Structure Requirements for Means-Plus-Function Claims February 27, 2013
- New Cooperative Patent Classification (CPC) System to Launch in January 2013 December 5, 2012
- Google Threatens to Sue Youtube MP3 Conversion Site November 14, 2012
RECEIVE CURRENT IP UPDATES
"Jim Pravel provided a rapid, vigorous and sound defense on my behalf that thwarted a baseless but potentially costly copyright lawsuit."